Today the world is confronting a deadly menace from a virus called COVID-19 i.e. Coronavirus. Presently, more than 100 nations are struggling with the inflicting devastation of this virus. Although, the leading health agencies of the world including the World Health Organization have begun to take vital initiatives to thwart the outbreak of this virus, still, there is no genuine vaccine accessible in the international marketplace to cure a patient having this infection. Consequently, there is a need of the hour to find some effective clinical solution speedily so that the whole of humanity could be saved from the severe health catastrophe. The only respite is that the symptoms can be treated and assuaged with appropriate precautions and hygiene accompanied by a good diet that boosts our immune system. So, what type of diet must be taken to guard ourselves against this menacing virus?
How to boost our immune system via diet to fight back coronavirus infections?
So as to protect ourselves from the detrimental viral infection, the paramount way possible is to fortify our immune system. It is a simple and economical precaution which not only aids us to fight against the virus but also decreases the probabilities of getting infected from the nearby environment. The following are some of the nutrient-rich foods that must be fused in our diet to combat against bacterial and viral infections:
- Anti-oxidant rich foods: Eating anti-oxidant rich foods aid to upsurge our resistance power. Foodstuffs like garlic, onion and berries are opulent in vitamin B, C, and E. Garlic and onions have selenium and sulfur-containing compounds that hold both antibacterial and antiviral properties that ward off numerous disease-causing bacteria and viruses.
- Turmeric: It is very necessary to take anti-inflammatory foods so as to upsurge our immunity power. Adding a nip of turmeric to our foods can help upturn our immunity. Curcumin in turmeric is very much advantageous to our bodies.
- Probiotics and fermented foods: It is said that if our gut health is good then we are good. The maximum of the friendly bacteria is there in our gut which aids us to combat against numerous infections. Probiotics and fermented foods are full of healthy bacteria. Gut health can be enhanced by taking probiotics like yogurt and fermented foods like a pickle.
- Seafood and fish: Seafood and fish are rich in zinc, which aids to build up our immune system and henceforth including them in our food is vital.
- Also, it is advantageous to take fresh fruits and vegetables to fill the annulled of essential minerals and nutrients in our diet.
What foods are to be avoided?
Foods that are high in sugars are to be circumvented like cool drinks, sodas, etc. Since sugary drinks add no vitamin or mineral value to our system, rather they tend to reduce the efficacy of our immune system. Folks must avoid smoking and drinking as this may further exacerbate the debilitated immune system. Junk foods and processed foods are to be sidestepped as these foods are full of artificial food colors and preservatives which are not so useful to our immune system. It is not suggested to eat nutrients void foods when we are struggling with any viral or bacterial infections. It is always appreciated to fill our gut with healthy meals that are typically organic in nature.